Every time I meet someone new, I realize how big the world is, and just how small I am compared to the bigger picture. The world is a vast place, and I can't even comprehend all the people living on this planet. Right now, in this very instant, there is someone living halfway around the world that is just like you! They wake up and eat breakfast, text friends on their phones, works jobs, and have families. They love, laugh, cry, and experience all the same emotions you do. They even share all the same worries: "Where can I find a job?" "What will I eat today?" "Will people like my post on facebook?"etc. ;) The only difference is, they might speak a different language, dress differently, or have a different skin color - but really we're all the same. I have met so many incredible people here in Oman, and it's helped me appreciate this reality.
Here are just a few of the many amazing people I've met in the Middle East:
 |
| Muayad and I exploring Al Mughsayl Beach |
This is Muayad. He is a Palestinian from Jordan. He is a manager in the spa department at the resort, and we consider him our band's best friend. He volunteers to teach rooftop yoga to for the staff twice a week, and he even studied from yogi masters in India. He is also the most American, non-American that I have ever met. He is fluent in pop culture, and his karaoke skills are top notch.
 |
| Rooftop yoga under the stars! |
 |
| Catalin the Romanian |
This is Catalin (pronounced KAH-TA-LIN). He is from Romania, which makes him and I fellow countrymen. I am 1/4th Russian, and during the Soviet Union Era, Romania and Russia were the same country. So I guess that kinda means we're from the same place?! We love going for long bike rides and talking about borscht soup, homemade sausage, and other things you non-soviets just wouldn't understand ;)
 |
| Muhammad |
 |
| Madyeen |
This is Muhammad and Madyeen. They drive the shuttles that take us to the resort, around town, shopping, etc. etc. They are both locals from Oman and speak Arabic. Muhammad LOVES western music and clothing. He's learning to speak english so I've been giving him plenty of Top 40 music to help with his studies ;) Madyeen is incredibly kind and humble. He's very down to earth and a great guy to be around. He always greets you with a big smile.
 |
| Pool party with Muhammad and his friend |
 |
| Braize and Yappa from Sri Lanka |
 |
| Braize was so excited because we are the first Americans he has ever met!!! |
This is Braize and Yappa from Sri Lanka. They are both bartenders at the resort. They are super funny and really nice guys. They are the life of the party, and always make you feel welcome. They make my day when I see them around the resort.
 |
| My boys from India |
 |
| More friends from Kerala in India |
These are my boys from India. They are so freakin awesome. In our traveling experiences, we have met the kindest and most hard working people from India. They are very genuine people. They work so hard to provide for their families. Many of these friends have wives and children back home, and make sacrifices to take these jobs so they can provide for their families. I really respect these guys and consider them my dear friends.
 |
| Amazing Haircut for $2.50 |
Abrar is from Pakistan and he owns the barbershop next to our apartment. He came all the way here because he could make more money as a skilled barber in a tourist city like Salalah. He's amazing with a straight razor, and he knows all the modern styles for haircuts. In case you can't tell from the picture, I love haircuts. At only $2.50 for a haircut, he gets a big tip.
 |
| My friend the Sharari |
This is Khalid. He works security at the resort. He and I have become very close friends because he is a Shahari. The Shahari people are the oldest living generation of Omanis. Their ancestors have been living in Oman for thousands of years. The Shahari people came to America thousands of years ago, and are believed to be related to the Native American Indians. I told Khalid that I am Native American (1/10th Menominee Indian), and he says that I am his Shahari brother. He's a great friend to me and it's good to know I have family in Oman!
 |
| Friends from India, Vietnman, Morocco, and Indonesia |
The staff of the hotel come from all over the world: Egypt, Vietnam, Philippines, South Africa, India, Indonesia, Morocco, Thailand, Myanmar, Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, Laos, Congo, Senegal, and many other places. It has been a wonderful education in geography. I now have friends from countries that I had never even heard of before. It's reminds me again how big the world is, and how small our own little bubble of life is. It can be scary to venture out of your bubble, but it only takes a leap of faith to have the courage to experience something or somewhere new. I'm grateful we took that leap that has lead to so many newfound friends!
Fear is an interesting thing. As children, we are taught to fear the things and places that are unfamiliar or dangerous to us. We are afraid of what we can't see, what we don't understand, and that which is out of our control. Fear can be crippling, and paralyzing. The most valuable lesson I have learned in coming to the Middle East is that love, hope, and charity exist everywhere in the world. Deep down we are all the same regardless of race, color, gender, and origin. There will always be reasons for us to be afraid in life, but there are far more reasons for us to be fearless, compassionate, loving, and receptive to every way of life that differs from our own.
So, my challenge to you this week? Go somewhere that you've never been before, and experience something new. Even if it's just a foreign restaurant down the street that you've always wanted to try, or perhaps an art class you've always wanted to sign up for, but you don't think you're good enough. Take courage, be brave, and just try. You'll be surprised by the joy it will bring you.
Jar, reading this just made me realize how much I miss you and Britt, and how proud I am to have you as friends/family. Oh, and for being 1/10th Native American, you're pretty darn white! Must be the Wisconsin blood in you!
ReplyDeleteRoberta!! We miss your family a ton! Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you enjoy the blog 😊
DeleteOman is much different than I expected. You look like you have lost weight. With friends like you have over there why would out ever want to come home. JIM
ReplyDelete